Applied Frameworks is a Scaled Agile Gold SPCT partner — the highest level of transformation partnership available.
Align Strategy with Execution
Aligning strategy with execution is critical to any organization’s success and a key aspect of achieving Business Agility with SAFe®. As an organization gains the ability to deliver more value sooner through Agile teams (and teams of teams), it’s critical that the value being delivered is aligned with both the outcomes desired by the customers as well as the strategic vision of the enterprise.
Lean Portfolio Management unlocks the advantages of Lean-Agile at scale. In this course, you will learn new approaches to organize around value and adapt to what customers want — faster and with more predictability.
The Lean Portfolio Management course helps executives, program managers, and other key stakeholders understand the principles and practices necessary to implement a successful Lean Portfolio Management function.
SAFe Lean Portfolio Management – Course Content
Lean Portfolio Management answers the questions:
- How do I connect strategy to execution?
- How do I manage flow and solve perpetual overload?
- How can I fund and govern dynamically?
- How does Lean Portfolio Management fit into SAFe?
- Course materials
- Remote learning via SAFe® Virtual Classrooms
- Access to SAFe® Collaborate, a visual online workspace
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
- Lean Portfolio Manager certification exam
- Access to the optional Getting Started with LPM Workshop
- How to connect the portfolio to the enterprise.
- How to maintain portfolio vision and roadmap.
- How to establish Lean budgets and guardrails.
- How to create portfolio flow.
Exam & Certification Details
Exam prerequisite skills
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Familiarity with value streams
- Familiarity with portfolio management funding models
- Attended a Leading SAFe or SAFe Agile Product Management course
- Experience working in a SAFe environment
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® Lean Portfolio Manager is to attend the Lean Portfolio Management course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name:
- SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0)
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0.1 and 5.1)
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the Lean Portfolio Management course
- Exam duration:
- SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0) – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0.1 and 5.1) – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions:
- SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam – 60 questions
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0) – 60 questions
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0.1 and 5.1) – 45 questions
- Passing score:
- SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0) – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam (5.0.1 and 5.1) – 32 out of 45 (71%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Lean Portfolio Manager requires an exceptional range of skills. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Lean Portfolio Manager PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Lean Portfolio Manager digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the LPM Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey