Software pricing is complicated — but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Our training course breaks down all the inputs to software pricing and licensing decisions you need to make as a product leader.
The curriculum explores value exchange models, proven methods to maximize the value of software assets, prioritizing for profit and how to ultimately make more money with software.
This course will be delivered in three 4 hour online sessions with preparation work, short assignments between sessions and a brief follow-up session with the instructor.
Simplistic approaches to technical product management lead product managers to believe that business decisions such as pricing or business models can be made independently of underlying technologies. Similarly, simplistic approaches to product engineering lead technical leaders to believe that technical decisions, such as the choice of implementation technology or performance, can be made independently of contextual business issues. Mature approaches to maximizing software-related product and service profits recognize that business and technology issues are intertwined in a complex system.
The Applied Frameworks Profit Engine Framework helps business and technical leaders sort through the core issues required for maximizing profit in software related product and service offerings. The class will also debunk the mistaken theory that one can prioritize a backlog for ROI. The course provides acceptance criteria that can be applied to ensure participants create sustainable solutions.
The course curriculum was developed by Applied Frameworks founder Luke Hohmann, author of Innovation Games (Addison-Wesley) and is partially based on the material found in Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions (Addison-Wesley).
- Agile Product Managers
- Scrum Product Owners
- Product Marketing Managers
- Senior Development/Engineering Leadership
- Technical Architects
Upon completing this course participants will understand the following models and how they can be applied to maximize profits:
- Customer Value Analysis: Identifies and Captures Value Type of Value Exchange: The Way You Make Money
- Pricing Model: How Much Money You Make
- Customer ROI Model: Quantifies Customer Value
- Licensing Model: Terms and Conditions of Use
- Enforcement Model: Protection of Rights
- Profit Engine: Causes More Money Making – or more Profitable – Events
- Prioritizing for Profit: Assessing potential product enhancements relative to stakeholder needs, corporate strategy, and profit engines
Format / Duration
- Three days of online instructor-guided exploration of the techniques
- Overview of the framework
- Detailed discussion, with examples, of each component of the framework
- Multiple interactive case studies and exercises
- Review and wrap-up
- Presentations in soft copy
- A variety of materials used to stimulate thinking and apply the techniques
- Copy of the book Beyond Software Architecture
- Copy of the book Innovation Games