Learn to Coach High-Performing Agile Teams
The Scrum Master is a servant-leader who facilitates and coaches the Agile Team towards high-performance execution in a Lean-Agile environment. This challenging role requires a deep understanding of team facilitation, support of PI Planning and execution, and coaching of the team towards relentless improvement.
Industry leaders will tell you, the instructor you choose to deliver your SAFe® Scrum Master class makes all the difference!
Our SPCs have been involved in the Agile community and implemented SAFe since the early days of the Framework. We are focused on delivering a meaningful understanding of the SAFe® Scrum Master role to Scrum Masters, SAFe agilists, and change agents. We bring our experience and real-world stories to the course, and invite you to share your unique context as well.
Let’s get you on the road to a real, deep understanding of SAFe Scrum Master that will ensure sustainable success for you, your Agile Team, and your ART in the future!
Applied Frameworks is a Scaled Agile Gold SPCT partner — the highest level of transformation partnership available.
Upcoming SAFe Scrum Master Certification Courses
SAFe Scrum Master – Course Content
Are you curious about how to coach Agile teams to deliver maximum business value at scale? The SAFe® Scrum Master course covers the tactical skills to be an effective Scrum Master in a SAFe organization. And gives you the guidance and tools you need to work effectively in remote environments with distributed teams.
SAFe® Scrum Master answers the questions:
- How do Scrum Masters facilitate planning and execution of work during a PI?
- How do you coach and lead Agile teams inside a SAFe enterprise?
- How do you become a servant leader to build a high-performing team?
- Course materials
- Remote learning via SAFe® Virtual Classrooms
- Access to SAFe® Collaborate, a visual online workspace
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
- Access to content, tools, and resources you need to practice SAFe every day
- SAFe Scrum Master certification exam
- How to facilitate Scrum events.
- How to support PI execution.
- How to coach teams to constantly improve.
- How to implement DevOps for continuous flow and delivery.
Exam & Certification Details
Exam prerequisite skills
- Experience working in a Lean-Agile environment
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® Scrum Master is to attend the SAFe® Scrum Master course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Scrum Master Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Scrum Master Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® Scrum Master course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – SSM 4 = 33 out of 45 (73%); SSM 5.0 =33 out of 45 (73%)
Exam score for SSM 5.0 has been updated effective Feb 28 8pm MST.
SSM 5.0 passing score prior to February 28 was 34 out of 45 (75%).
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Scrum Master requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many Scrum Masters. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Scrum Master PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Scrum Master digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SSM Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey