Applied Frameworks is a Scaled Agile Gold SPCT partner — the highest level of transformation partnership available.
Get Certified as a SAFe® Architect
Learn the Scaled Agile Framework® from experts with real-world experience
Within an enterprise or organization, Architects are trusted advisors for their technological wisdom and systems-thinking prowess. What if the role was one of collaboration, where Architecture had a seat at the product and business table?
With today’s rapidly changing environments, regulations, and market demands, customer-focused architects are needed more than ever. The technology processes and ways of working from past years may no longer be enough to keep pace and more is needed. More collaboration with customers. More collaboration as part of a leadership team. More scale. More profit. More sustainability and resilience.
The role of the Architect is evolving, and one of the first steps to take is to choose a framework that will enable customer-centric technological designs and development that remains flexible enough to accommodate rapidly changing demands yet robust enough to earn the trust of the business and customer.
Whether you are looking at the role of a System Architect or Engineer, serving as a Solution Architect, or an Enterprise Architect, or working as part of the Lean Portfolio Management collaborations, Applied Frameworks and SAFe® for Architects provide the tools and guidance to keep pace.
The Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) enables collaboration between the product management team and architecture through shared learning experiences, a common lexicon, and setting the environment for tough conversations around trade-offs.
SAFe for Architects – Course Content
In SAFe, architects play a key role in the trio of leaders that includes product managers and the Release Train Engineer. It’s these people who work together to execute programs and guide Agile Release Trains (ARTs) to enable continuous value flow.
In the SAFe for Architects course, you’ll get the context you need to align architecture with business value. You’ll understand how system, solution, and enterprise architects collaboratively deliver architectural solutions. And you’ll get the guidance and tools you need to work effectively in remote environments with distributed teams.
SAFe for Architects answers the questions:
- How do I plan for and execute a program increment (PI)?
- How do I plan the architectural runway to consistently deliver business value?
- How do I create clarity and visibility into the architectural vision for an ART?
- Course materials
- Remote learning via SAFe Virtual Classrooms
- Access to SAFe Collaborate, a visual online workspace
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Access to content, tools, and resources you need to practice SAFe every day
- SAFe Architect certification exam
- How to develop and communicate the architectural vision.
- How to develop solution vision, intent, and roadmaps.
- How to prepare and deliver software effectively and continuously.
- How to lead and coach architects and team members during PI Planning and execution.
Exam & Certification Details
Exam prerequisite skills
- Application of Lean-Agile principles
The first step toward becoming a certified SAFe professional is to attend the SAFe for Architects course This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Architect Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Architect Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® for Architects course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 45 out of 60 (75%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Architect requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Architect PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Architect digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the ARCH Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe journey