TEAM KANBAN PRACTITIONER ONLINE EDITION
Learn how to lead your distributed team with Kanban.
For millions worldwide, working from home has become a sudden and unexpected reality. Without warning you have been thrust into a new level of responsibility — and requisite skills — that’s leaving you scrambling to reconfigure the very foundation of your team management approach.
If you want to develop the skills to lead your distributed team through the chaos with clarity and confidence from the comfort of your home office, then this is the course for you.
This course will be delivered over the course of 1 week in three live online sessions with preparation work, short assignments between sessions, and a follow-up coaching circle with the instructor.
The Applied Frameworks Learning Experience
At Applied Frameworks, we put you at the center of the learning experience in two important ways:
This course introduces you to the fundamentals of Kanban and illustrates how Kanban can be pragmatically applied in a distributed team setting to:
- Become faster and more responsive to change
- Increase shared ownership of project outcomes
- Improve risk management and team governance
- Increase predictability and control
This course achieves all learning outcomes in Kanban University’s Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) curriculum and provides an additional 4 hours of live training and coaching to enhance the skills of leaders working in distributed work environments.
The Online Edition of this class includes:
- Guided preparation work to get you ready
- 3 virtual classroom sessions of 3 hours each
- Lots of collaboration time with your classmates
- A small amount of homework and reflection between sessions
- 75 minute follow-up coaching circle after the class concludes
- Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) credentialling from Kanban University
Following short, focused lectures, the class will engage in group activities to reinforce each topic and maximize your understanding and retention of Kanban concepts.
Upon completion of this 12-hour training, you will receive a Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) Certification from Kanban University, the global authority in the Kanban Method.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for team leads or project managers involved in the delivery of professional services such as application development, infrastructure, or operations. Non-IT disciplines that could benefit from this foundational training include: Operations, Marketing, Procurement, Legal, or other knowledge work domains seeking to optimize delivery of customer value.
While the focus of the class is for people who want to learn how to leverage the Kanban method framework to lead teams, any member of the Team or the organization who is interested in how to pragmatically apply Kanban would find this class useful, including:
- People in the coaching role or moving into the role
- Project Managers seeking to expand their knowledge of Kanban
- Functional Managers and Team Leads at all levels of their career
- Architects and Business Analysts
- Software Designers, Developers and Testers
- Complete pre-assessment
- Orientation & Tech-check
- Review Essential Kanban (Anderson & Carmichael e-book)
- Other readings and videos
Session 1 (3 hours)
- Introduction to Kanban and Agile
- Kanban simulation
Session 2 (3 hours)
- Kanban Practices
- Kanban Change Principles
- Explicit Policies
- Kanban Cadences
- Distributed Team Considerations and Practice
Session 3 (3 hours)
- Work item types
- Ticket and Board Design
- Classes of Service
- Distributed Teams Considerations and Practice
- Kanban Maturity Model
- Closing & Next Steps
45-minute Instructor-led Post-Assessment & Feedback
75-minute coaching circle the week following class completion
What You Will Learn
Through original content, interactive simulations, and real-world case studies you will:
- Understand essentials attributes of Kanban systems
- Experience flow in a Kanban simulation
- Discover principles and practices of Kanban
- Practice elements of board design and card design.
- Identify vital metrics for tuning your Kanban system
- Apply Kanban cadences as feedback loops to evolve your system
- Examine and Assess selected real-world boards
Three 3-hour training sessions on Tue/Wed/Thu serve as the primary vehicle for course content. Training sessions are preceded by a short orientation session on Monday afternoon and followed by a short retrospective on Friday. A 75-minute coaching circle is scheduled for the week following based on attendee schedules.
Monday – 45 min orientation and tech-check
Tuesday – 9am-12pm ET
Wednesday – 9am-12pm ET
Thursday – 9am-12pm ET
Friday – 45 min close-out retrospective
This course focuses on interaction — we only use lecture to cover the fundamental terms and concepts. Most class time is dedicated to thought-provoking exercises, engaging discussion, and team collaboration.
What You Will Receive
- A detailed student workbook full of custom exercises, activities and course summaries that capture the essential points you need to learn and comprehend to apply Kanban in a team setting.
- Documented Kanban case studies explaining how Kanban was used to create successful outcomes and improved teams.
- A reading list of great books to jump start your continuing education on topics such as how to do Kanban better, scaling Kanban, facilitation, collaboration, communication and other essential topics.
- Thought-provoking articles related to the application of Kanban, the challenges associated with doing Kanban, identifying waste in your business, how Kanban can be used to facilitate change.
- Access to a 45 minute, personalized question and answer session with a Kanban expert at the conclusion of the first day to answer your specific questions about Kanban and how to get your teams started with Kanban.
- The Team Kanban Practitioner Certificate of completion issued by Kanban University, membership in the Kanban University and a listing in the LKU Alumni Directory.
“All the concepts in this course are explained clearly and had good examples.”
“Very through and beyond what I expected for an on-line course – comprehensive.”
“The instructor feedback on my submissions was very helpful in order to improve my work.”