In this two-day course, attendees will gain an understanding of the role of a Scrum Master in a SAFe enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe Scrum Master course explores the role of the Scrum Master in the context of the entire enterprise, and prepares attendees to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization. This includes learning the key components of Agile at scale development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute Iteration Planning.
Attendees will also discover how to build high performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach, and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value at scale. SAFe 4 Scrum Master (SSM) certification signifies that people are prepared to perform the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe environment, increasing their value to teams and organizations that are implementing SAFe.
To perform the role of a SAFe® Scrum Master, attendees should be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum events
- Facilitate effective Iteration execution
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Support relentless improvement
- Coach Agile teams for maximum business results
- Support DevOps implementation
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe
- Characterizing the role of the Scrum Master
- Experiencing Program Increment planning
- Facilitating Iteration execution
- Finishing the Program Increment
- Coaching the Agile team
What Attendees Get
- Printed workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 4 Scrum Master (SSM) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion (Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.)
Who will benefit?
- New Scrum Masters who need to perform the role
- Existing Scrum Masters who would like to understand their role in the context of a SAFe enterprise
- Team Leads who want to understand the Scrum Master role
- SAFe Release Train Engineers who want to coach Scrum Masters on their role
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) certification exam:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
- Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned
- Renewal Fee: $100
Class to be taught by John Mulligan, SPC and Principal Consultant with Applied Frameworks
John Mulligan coaches, mentors, and teaches clients on how to focus on business agility and scaling Agile throughout the organization. Before joining the firm, John worked at Anthem and Capital One over a period of more than twenty years in a variety of roles focused on Agility, including Operations Manager, Development Manager, ScrumMaster, Product Owner, Certified Usability Analyst, Systems Analyst, Release Train Engineer, and Agile Coach. John has experience leading teams of software developers and operations professionals across a variety of system roles including Fraud Operations, Credit Cards, Installment Loans, Commercial Banking, and Healthcare Management.
John began his career as a US Navy Submarine officer serving as a Division Officer and Department Head on three fast attack nuclear submarines.
John received his BS in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Southern California, an MS in Applied Science from the Naval Postgraduate School, and an MBA from the University of Richmond. A native of Southern California, John relocated to Richmond, VA in 1995 after leaving the Navy, where he resides with his family and yellow Lab, Remi.