Applied Frameworks' Software Pricing and Licensing for Product Managers is a two-day interactive course partially based on material found in Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions, a 2004 JOLT Productivity Award Finalist. The curriculum explores value exchange models, proven methods to maximize the value of software assets, prioritizing for profit and how to ultimately make more money with software.
Simplistic approaches to technical product management lead product managers to believe that business decisions such as pricing or business models can be made independently of underlying technologies. Similarly, simplistic approaches to product engineering lead technical leaders to believe that technical decisions, such as the choice of implementation technology or performance, can be made independently of contextual business issues. Mature approaches to maximizing profit from software-related products and services recognize that business and technology issues are intertwined in a complex system.
The Applied Frameworks Business Model Framework is the first to help business and technical leaders sort through the core issues required for maximizing profit in software related product and service offerings. The class will debunk the mistaken theory that one can prioritize a backlog for ROI. The course provides acceptance criteria that can be applied to ensure participants create sustainable solutions.
- Software Product Managers
- Agile Product Managers
- Scrum Product Owners
- Product Marketing Managers
- Senior Development/Engineering Leadership
- Technical Architects
Upon completing this course participants will understand the following models and how they can be applied to maximize profits:
- Customer Value Analysis: Identifies and Captures Value
- Type of Value Exchange: The Way You Make Money
- Pricing Model: How Much Money You Make
- Customer ROI Model: Quantifies Customer Value
- Licensing Model: Terms and Conditions of Use
- Enforcement Model: Protection of Rights
- Profit Engine: Causes More Money Making – or more Profitable – Events
- Prioritizing for Profit: Assessing potential product enhancements relative to stakeholder needs, corporate strategy, and profit engines
Format / Duration
- Two days of instructor guided exploration of the techniques
- Overview of the business model framework
- Detailed discussion, with examples, of each component of the framework
- Multiple interactive case studies and exercises
- Review and wrap-up
- Course workbook in soft and hard copy
- A variety of handouts used to stimulate thinking and apply the materials
- Copy of the book Beyond Software Architecture
Use the Contact Us box to the right to inquire about this course.